The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that 15 films in the Documentary Feature category will advance in the voting process for the 89th Academy Awards®. One hundred forty-five films were originally submitted in the category.
The 15 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production companies:
- “Cameraperson,” Big Mouth Productions
- “Command and Control,” American Experience Films/PBS
- “The Eagle Huntress,” Stacey Reiss Productions, Kissiki Films and 19340 Productions
- “Fire at Sea,” Stemal Entertainment
- “Gleason,” Dear Rivers Productions, Exhibit A and IMG Films
- “Hooligan Sparrow,” Little Horse Crossing the River
- “I Am Not Your Negro,” Velvet Film
- “The Ivory Game,” Terra Mater Film Studios and Vulcan Productions
- “Life, Animated,” Motto Pictures and A&E IndieFilms
- “O.J.: Made in America,” Laylow Films and ESPN Films
- “13th,” Forward Movement
- “Tower,” Go-Valley
- “Weiner,” Edgeline Films
- “The Witness,” The Witnesses Film
- “Zero Days,” Jigsaw Productions
The Academy’s Documentary Branch determined the shortlist in a preliminary round of voting. Documentary Branch members will now select the five nominees from among the 15 titles.
Nominations for the 89th Oscars® will be announced on Tuesday, January 24, 2017.
The 89th Oscars will be held on Sunday, February 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT. The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.